Monday, October 26, 2009

Mondolies: "Why I Am Secretly For Intermarriage"



    
I don't like to make a habit of quoting entire article from the people I satire on this blog.  However, I could help but take note of the following article from anti-Israel blogger Philip Weiss:

why I am secretly for intermarriage, though I shouldn’t proselytize

by Philip Weiss on May 9, 2009 · 42 comments


My wife and I went to a party last night. Cocktails–a foreign concept to me, growing up. It was called for 6 and as we drove we listened to All Things Considered. Robert Siegel was discussing political developments with David Brooks and, filling in for E.J. Dionne, Harold Meyerson of the American Prospect and Washington Post. As I listened, I thought, Boy these guys are smart. How do they know so much about so many different areas?
We came to a red light and the segmented ended. I was stuck in thought. My wife said, "What are you thinking?"
"Well I feel guilty about this, but you asked, and this is what I was thinking. They just had their political roundtable and I just thought, Why are there three Jews on there? A very important task, explaining events, and there's no diversity. Then I reflected that when I had the opportunity to expand my blog, I chose another Jew, Adam Horowitz. Obviously I feel some comfort with Jews. And just this week I made recommendations of young journalists to editors I know. Both of them were Jewish. I know there are really good young non-Jewish journalists but it's not as if I don't have prejudice in favor of my own tribe. This book I'm reading speaks of professional kinship networks, and I realize I'm in one myself, have been since college."
My wife said, "I do the opposite. Sometimes I think that working with X, it would be a lot easier. She's a WASP and we understand all the cues and manners, and it makes working with her easier. But I realize I clubbed that out of myself. Though you could say that M and I (the latest person she's working with, half-Jewish) are in the same tribe, of flakey arty types."
I said, "I think this is why I'm for intermarriage, without pushing it on people. I think it's a good thing, it breaks up some of these networks. Because when the networks are associated with social power, they're much more problematic."
Then we went to the party.

    It looks like Silverstein's spiritual brother is more honest than he is.  He doesn't pretend to be Everyman.  No, Philip Weiss is just another lost Jew campaigning for his new religion-Tikun Olam.  Meanwhile he has no understanding of Judaism, nor does he want to.  Yet-he thinks of himself as an educated man, with a degree in PBS!

No comments: