Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Anti-Self Defamation League Threatened With Leagal Action

The following letter was sent to Richard Silverstein:
From: Justin White [mailto:eathummus@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:50 AM
To: Richard
Subject: Mumbai
Many of you first heard of the Holtzberg family three days ago when news of
the Mumbai hostage situation emerged. I feel compelled to write this letter,
because I want the world to know who Rivky and Gabi Holtzberg were in life
and to tell you what I witnessed of their accomplishments in their brief 28
years on earth. While I am devastated by their death, I am thankful that my
life and so many others were touched by their purity, friendship and spirit.
Before I entered the Chabad house in Mumbai, I thought, “What kind of people
would leave a comfortable and secure life in a religious community to live
in the middle of Mumbai; a dirty, difficult, crowded city?” As I got to know
Rivky and Gabi over the course of this past summer, I understood that G-d
creates some truly special people willing to devote their lives to bettering
the world.
I was first welcomed by Rivky, who had a big smile on her face and her baby
Moishie in her arms. She ushered me and my fellow travelers into the Chabad
house and immediately offered us something to eat and a sofa to rest on. We
quickly became good friends. We bonded with the Holtzberg family and the
staff at Chabad, including Sandra, the heroine who saved baby Moishie’s
life.
Like his parents, Moishe is a sweet, loving, happy baby. He was so attached
to Rivky and Gabi. He got so excited to sing Shabbat Z’mirot (songs) every
Friday night with his father, and I could tell by the light on Gabi’s face
when they were singing together, that he looked forward to it too. It breaks
my heart that I can still hear Moishie’s voice calling, “Ima, Ima, Ima”, and
she will no longer be able to hold him or rock him in her arms.
On my second Shabbat at Chabad, Rivky told me there were two Israeli men
staying at the house who were just released from an Indian prison. When I
saw these men sitting at the dinner table, I was startled. One man had only
a front tooth and a raggedy pony tail, and the other looked like an Israeli
version of Rambo. I observed the way that Gabi interacted with them and how
they were welcomed at the Shabbat table the same way everyone else was, and
my fears melted away. Over the course of the night, I learned that these men
were not the only prisoners or ex-convicts the Holtzberg’s helped. Gabi
frequently brought Kosher meals to Israelis in prison, spent time with them,
listened to their life stories, and took them in after their release.
I realized that Gabi and Rivky’s job was not only to run a Chabad house and
provide warm meals and beds for weary Jewish travelers, it was much greater.
The Holtzberg’s were running a remarkable operation. They took their jobs as
shlichim (emissaries) very seriously. Their lives never stopped. There was
no such thing as “personal space” or “downtime”. The phones rang constantly,
people came in and out like a subway station, and all the while Rivky and
Gabi were calm, smiling, warm, and welcomed everyone like family.
Rivky spent each day cooking dinner with the chefs for 20-40 people, while
Gabi made sure to provide meat for everyone by going to the local markets
and schechting (koshering) them himself. They also provided travelers with
computers for internet access, so that they wouldn’t have to pay for
internet cafes. They even took care of our laundry. Having spent much time
abroad, it was clear to me that Rivky and Gabi were unusual tzadikim
(righteous people).
On my last Shabbat in India , I slept in Rivky and Gabi’s home, the 5th
floor of the Chabad house. I noticed that their apartment was dilapidated
and bare. They had only a sofa, a bookshelf, a bedroom for Moishie, and a
bedroom to sleep in. The paint peeled from the walls, and there were hardly
any decorations. Yet, the guest quarters on the two floors below were
decorated exquisitely, with American-style beds, expansive bathrooms, air
conditioning (a luxury in India ) and marble floors. We called these rooms
our “healing rooms” because life was so difficult in Mumbai during the week.
We knew that when we came to Chabad, Rivky and Gabi would take care of us
just like our parents, and their openness and kindness would rejuvenate us
for the week to come.
The juxtaposition of their home to the guest rooms was just another example
of what selfless, humble people Rivky and Gabi were. They were more
concerned about the comfort of their guests than their own.
The Holtzberg’s Shabbat table was a new experience each week. Backpackers,
businessmen, diplomats and diamond dealers gathered together to connect with
their heritage in an . We always knew we were in for a surprise where an
amazing story would be told, either by Gabi or a guest at the table. For
each meal, Gabi prepared about seven different divrei torah (words of torah)
to share. Though most of them were delivered in Hebrew (and I caught about
25%), his wisdom, knowledge and ability to inspire amazed me. Rivky and Gabi
were accepting of everyone who walked through their doors, and they had no
hidden agendas. Rivky once told me that there was one holiday where they had
no guests. It was just herself, Gabi and Moishie. I expected her to say how
relieved she was not to have guests, but she told me it was, in fact, the
only lonely holiday they ever spent in India .
I remember asking Gabi if he was afraid of potential terror threats.
Although his demeanor was so sweet and gentle, Gabi was also very
strong-minded and determined. He told me simply and sharply that if the
terrorists were to come, “be my guest, because I’m not leaving this place.”
Both he and Rivky believed that their mission in Mumbai was far greater than
any potential terror threats.
Everything Rivky and Gabi did came from their dedication, love and
commitment to the Jewish people and to G-d. I cannot portray in words how
remarkable this couple was. If there is anything practical that I can
suggest in order to elevate their souls, please try to light candles this
Friday night for Shabbat, improve relationships with family members and
friends, try to connect to others the way that Rivky and Gabi did- with
love, acceptance and open arms. There is so much to learn from them. May
their names and influence live on, and inspire us in acts of kindness and
love.
Sincerely,
Hillary
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Richard’s resonse (12-18-08)
If I hear another word from you via e mail, telephone, blog or any other source I will report the email message you sent to me threatening me with “sectioning” to the Seattle Police Department and I will also preserve evidence of every attempt at communication you have made. I will note to them that I consider your last e mail a physical threat. That I am concerned for my safety. I will note that I have demanded that you cease communicating with me via this e mail. I will provide for them every piece of personal contact information, including e mail address and telephone number, I can get so that they may contact you and apprise you of the laws of the State of Washington concerning harassment & stalking. I assure you, since I have been a victim of such threats before, that my police department takes them seriously and follows up on them with the perpetrators.
Take this seriously. This is not a joke.
Richard Silverstein
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Taming Korach’s Response To Silverstein’s Threat:
If I hear another word from you
@Richard: This is in itself a threat. It is very patronizing as well for someone who knows FAR less Torah than I do.
The Mumbai letter I sent is an actual letter sent to me by close friends. The Chabad people here are obviously mourning what went on there. It was sent in the best of intentions. You should know that:
1-I have you recorded on a blog saying that you were willing to talk to me by phone if it was done in a civilized manner. I was civilized and you weren’t.
2-The last email you sent me is a threat. You are challenging me with legal action.
3-You were the one who printed my identity, against my will and plastered it on the internet. You are the one who should be on the defensive. You turned a little tat into a major issue. You reveled in making our feud public. I am certainly no anti-Semite and that will hold up in court for sure.
4-Your blog is a public forum. It is open to the public. I have every right to post my opinions on a public forum, especially when you have callously besmirched my good name.
5-I have EVERY correspondence that I have ever made with you.
6-I have never threatened you physically-stop making up things. This is not your blog (stop twisting the truth), Richard-this is real life! If anything, the things you have said on your site have made YOU liable.
7-I am not in the US, good luck on contacting me here.
8-It is you that have been harassing me. My name can still be found as a search on your website. If you remove EVERY instance of my name appearing on your site, I’ll be satisfied, and assume that you have good intentions. Those include:
Justin White: Red-Neck ‘Baal Teshuva’
Justin White: Jew as Anti-Semite
Justin White Trots Out the Kapo Insult
9-Being a “new” and treasured member of the Jewish community, I have close friends in every strata of society-both in the USA and Israel. That includes lawyers. GOOD lawyers. VERY GOOD lawyers. RENOWN lawyers. If you read #8, that can all be avoided.
חג שמח
JW
____________________________________________________________________________________
Silverstein’s Threat
Have it your way. I’ll be reporting you to the Seattle Police Department tomorrow morning. Expect to hear from them shortly.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Taming Korach
Richard, you have another chance..edit your site. All will be forgiven.
P.S. I have already contacted my lawyer in New York.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Richard Makes Yet Another Joust:
Please do sue me. I’d so enjoy defending a lawsuit by you. I already have a terrific pro bono lawyer who’s successfully defended a lawsuit filed by another cretin like you. When you’re ready, I’ll even give you the address where to file the papers.

No comments: